- PhD: “Development of a novel methodology for the detection of buried archaeological remains using remote sensing techniques”, Department of Civil and Geomatics Engineering, Cyprus University of Technology (2009 – 2013)
- MA: Master of Arts in Archaeology, Postgraduate Program in Mediterranean Archaeology: From Prehistory to Late Antiquity, MA Thesis: “Site Catchments analysis within the Paphos region during the 3rd and 2nd millennium BC and study of the urbanization, using Geographical Information Systems”, Department of History and Archaeology, University of Cyprus (2007 – 2010)
- MSc: Master of Science in Geoinformatics, MSc Thesis: “The Development of a Data Base System and Geographical Information for supporting Land Consolidation in Cyprus”, School of Rural and Surveying Engineering, National Technological University of Athens (2005 – 2007)
- Diploma: Diploma Thesis: “Investigation the use of digital photogrammetric images from mobile” (5-years study), School of Rural and Surveying Engineering, National Technological University of Athens (2000 – 2005)
Professional background / participation in funded projects:
- Research Promotion Foundation program “PERISCOPE – Portal for hERItage buildingS integration into the COntemPorary built Environment” (€1,104,500)
- Research Promotion Foundation program “NAVIGATOR – Copernicus Earth Observation Big Data for Cultural Heritage” (€250,000)
- Research Promotion Foundation program “PLACES- Synergistic Use of Optical and Radar data for cultural heritage applications” (€60,000)
Research interests: Earth Observation, Remote Sensing, G.I.S. applications, Geometric Documentation for archaeological research and Cultural Heritage landscapes.
Selected publications: He has published articles in more than 120 international journals, chapters of books and papers in proceedings of international conferences.
- Agapiou A., 2020, Damage Proxy Map of the Beirut Explosion on 04th August 2020 as Observed from the Copernicus Sentinel-1 and -2 sensors, Sensors, 20(21), 6382; https://doi.org/10.3390/s20216382.
- Agapiou A., Lysandrou V., 2020, Detecting displacements within archaeological sites in Cyprus after a 5.6 magnitude scale earthquake event through the Hybrid Pluggable Processing Pipeline (HyP3) cloud-based system and Sentinel-1 Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR) analysis, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 13, 6115-6123, https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTARS.2020.3028272.
- Agapiou A., 2020, Vegetation Extraction Using Visible-Bands From Openly Licensed Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Imagery, Drones, 4(2), 27; https://doi.org/10.3390/drones402002.